A Beautiful Mind

The Reflections Of My Mind

Round 2 begins with UNC Kenan-Flagler

with 3 comments

My UNC Kenan-Flagler app went in on last Friday and so my R2 apps have started. Well practically it appears to be a very late R1 as many of the business schools have their R2’s ending in early to mid January. I kept Kenan-Flagler for R2 mainly because I started writing my first essays with Kenan-Flagler and going by the experience of many people who have been through this cycle, I decided to submit it late in order to incorporate any improvements that I will learn during all of my apps. With each app, the content of my essays was getting better and better. My final set of Kenan-Flagler essays was a lot different from my first set (although the basic idea presented was the same).

I had submitted my Part I of the application a few weeks back and that included my GMAT report and my updated resume. Based on these, I received an invite for an interview from Kenan-Flagler a few days back. So now I have sent the interview request to a Kenan-Flagler alumnus in Mumbai and let us see when he responds. Till then, I just need to wait for my interview call from Johnson (Cornell) and Fuqua (Duke).

Johnson usually takes some time to release the calls and they do not have any formal dates for interview calls. They can call the candidates for interview right up to the last week of the decision deadline. And I guess some people are yet fo finish their R1 interviews at Johnson. But in case of Fuqua, they will release interview calls on December 8 (early morning December 9 for me). Only a couple of days to know if I stand a chance to get into Fuqua. Fuqua students and adcom team have been very helpful throughout my application process in answering my queries.

Now, as far as other R2 apps are concerned, I am most likely to stop here for some time as I believe I better get some news from my R1 apps in order to move ahead with R2. If I get interview calls, then I can easily reuse the idea’s (not the content off course) from my R1 essays. If not, then I will have to rethink about everything that I did for R1. So far I have applied at five schools with interview calls from three of them. My ISB interview was fine, my Olin (WUSTL) interview went good but my Kenan-Flagler interview call is based on my GMAT and resume. I will try to finish my Kenan-Flagler interview before the holidays but till then no more R2 apps. In any case I am most likely to apply at only one more school. I believe, if I can’t make it to any of the six schools in my list, there is no point in applying at more. The only decision to be made is, which one is the sixth one?

Advertisements

Written by abeautifulmind1

December 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Hey Sunil

    Did you consider Ross/Darden/Goizueta/Tepper. They’re great schools too.

    Proc

    December 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm

  2. Well I did consider all these schools and they are all very good schools.

    Tepper – No non co-signer loans. So can’t afford.

    Darden – Initially no non co-signer loans (they confirmed only a few days back) and didn’t have enough time to perpare in R1.

    Goizueta – Only a batch of 160 which is amazing but it has a rolling system and by now two rounds are over. The chances for internationals are minimal in such cases. If we have 8-10% people from India eve then we will have only 12-16 people and this will include Indians who have been working in US (I am not one of them). So by round 3 hardly any seats are left.

    Ross – I am in the process of writing my ross application (which I started loonngg back 🙂 ) but I am still looking for a reachable or safety school and Ross is kind of a dream school.

    I have talked to current students at Ross and so I am most likely to submit it considering the good things I have heard from them but again, I need a safety school now 😦

    How about you?
    Why is Haas doubtful in your case? Is it due to R3?

    abeautifulmind1

    December 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm

  3. I am not betting on no non-cosigner loans. During these times, I guess atleast a non-US co-signer is a good option. Tepper does have one such loan option with HSBC for Indians.

    I am applying to Ross and Tepper in R2. With a all-too-likely ding from Duke, I’m wondering about my chances at others. Nevertheless, we wouldnt want to attend some school which we arent excited about 🙂

    Haas couldn’t go forward because one of my recommenders was not available to submit the reco on time. But I cant blame him, he has patiently written my recos for 4 schools and willing to write for another 3-4. Just the time didnt suit him.
    Do you know if we can apply for R3 in Haas?

    And if you’re looking for a safe school, I could suggest McCombs@UTAustin.

    Proc

    December 11, 2009 at 3:37 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: